The Clyde jacket-to-vest rescue mission: accomplished!

The Clyde jacket-to-vest rescue mission: accomplished!

I finished two more things from my spring make list this weekend and technically this is the latter of them, but I’m telling you about it first because I am so over-the-moon in LOVE that I need to shout about it immediately. This, you may recall, began life as the Clyde Jacket that fell into my hands at the Elizabeth Suzann sample sale back in early December for $35, mysteriously unfinished (as in: it had never gotten its sleeves). Upon close inspection, the stitching around the hem looks as if the machine was acting up, and it even chewed a hole in the fabric in one spot, at which point there clearly was a decision made not to bother attaching the sleeves. Thankfully, instead of being tossed on the fire, so to speak, it was tossed onto the sample-sale pile — and I’m SO glad, because rescuing it has given me some serious joy, and I also might never leave home without it.

To convert it from an unfinished jacket to a finished vest, all I did was put it on my dress form, put one of my State Smocks on over the top of it, and trace the big armhole of the smock onto the canvas of the jacket with a chalk pen. When I took away the smock and looked at the line I had drawn, it perfectly echoed the shape of the pockets, as if fate had intended it all along. The Clyde jacket has front and back panels flanking the wide side panels into which the crescent pockets are set, so all I did is adjust the markings a tiny bit so I had just enough fabric running alongside those vertical seams to be able to attach bias binding. As it happens, I also had a bunch of navy linen fabric from last summer’s ES garage sale, which matched the navy canvas perfectly. So I cut long strips of bias, attached them all the way around the armhole, then turned it all under and top-stitched, so in the end the vertical panels form the tops of the armholes, with nothing visibly added. It makes for a really nice detail!

I don’t even mind the aforementioned hole in the fabric. You can barely see it, the jacket is so dark, but it’s also a good excuse to try out the darning function on my machine at some point.

So in the end, what I have is a shorter version of the Clyde Vest, and it feels completely indispensable to me — like the garment I can’t believe I’ve lived this long without. In fact, I have a Clyde Jacket in Clay that I paid full price for last year (and adore), and I’m considering making the same alteration to it! I may even have some matching canvas for that from the garage sale …

The Clyde jacket-to-vest rescue mission: accomplished!

Worn here with my canvas pants. And the other thing I finished this weekend is over on Instagram.

.

PREVIOUSLY in FOs: Recycled denim pants

20 thoughts on “The Clyde jacket-to-vest rescue mission: accomplished!

  1. Now that was utter genius! I’d have never thought to do that, but now I will! It looks wonderful and so comfy!

  2. Looks very cool. Also, I know you don’t wear dresses a lot but I can imagine some really wonderful outfits featuring this layered over dresses, especially ones with a bit of fullness or an A-line. Maybe a silhouette idea for someone else if not for you!

  3. Just looked at the grey sweatshirt….LOVE it! Really, love the story of your error, sad for you, but I feel better knowing it is not only me who does these “what was I thinking” things!!! They are definitely teaching moments that we never forget! I am making an Aidez sweater for my daughter and got all done with the back after lots and lots of ripping and remakes and saw an error that I had carried row after row! Tore it all out to the ribbing again!!! It is now done and on the blocking mat, WHEW!

  4. Pingback: Not-quite Fall closet inventory | Fringe Association

Leave a Reply